Saturday, January 17, 2009

Worthless Pursuit of the Things on the Earth

Chris Taylor's contemporary Christian music album Worthless Pursuit of the Things on the Earth (Rhythm House Music/ASCAP 2000. Amazon link) has a very Ecclesiastes-type ring to the title track. Here are the lyrics:

I've spent years and years and years
Chasing the wind out of my very own sails
Time and time again... I've lost the inspiration that got me here.
What is worth the life and the living...
The pain of loss is it worth the giving?
From the moment of my birth
The worthless pursuit of things on the earth.

Over and over it seems
I've worked my fingers all the way to the bone.
Possessing the things I don't need.
I live in a big house...but I feel so alone.
All that toil, all that grief,
All that gain but still no peace.
Dust turns into dirt.
The worthless pursuit of things on the earth.

I'm on my way... to the end of the world.
All along the way... chaos rules both kings and fools.
I'm on my way...to the end of the world.

I had some money for a little while;
Left holes in my pockets and a long paper trail.
Everyone's looking for the meaning of life.
Everyone's got their own story to tell...

All our searching, all our finding, all our conscience still reminding.
We wear it like a shirt.
The worthless pursuit of things on the earth.

The album insert explains the origin of the song with no mention of Ecclesiastes. Here are some allusions as I see them:

"Chasing the wind"... Eccl 1:14, etc.
"Possessing the things I don't need" ... Eccl 5:13 [heb 12] "wealth hoarded to the harm of its owner"
"I feel so alone"... Eccl 4:8.
"All that gain but still no peace" ... Eccl 1:3, "What does man gain from all his labor"; Eccl 5:12 [heb 11] "the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep."
"Dust turns into dirt"... Eccl 12:7, "the dust returns to the ground where it came from"
"chaos rules both kings and fools" ... 'chaos' is a break down of divine order, which Ecclesiastes sees in the break down of retribution (e.g. Eccl 9:2). 'Chaos' is also used to translate 'formless and void' (tohu vavohu, Genesis 1:2) which parallels Ecclesiastes' key word 'vanity' (hebel) which can be translated as 'nothing, empty'. 'Chaos' (tohu) is translated 'vanity' in Isa 44:9 (KJV), and is used in parallel with 'vanity' (hebel) in Isa 49:4.
"kings and fools" ... Eccl 4:13, "Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king"
"I had some money for a little while"... Eccl 5:14 [heb 13], "wealth lost through some misfortune."
"All our searching" ... Eccl 1:13, "I devoted myself to study and explore."
"All our finding" ... Eccl 7:28, "while I was still searching but not finding."

(all quotations from New International Version)

No comments: